98% of EHS leaders report a positive correlation between higher worker participation and safety performance enhancements
BRENTWOOD, Tennessee, August 1, 2017— EHS Daily Advisor® has today released the results of a recent survey in a report entitled Participation Counts: A Look at Participation-Based Safety. The survey and its accompanying report, both sponsored by eCompliance®, provide insight into an emerging approach to EHS management, participation-based safety. The report highlights how safety leaders across a multitude of industries are encouraging employees to actively participate in workplace safety initiatives.
The study was conducted in May of 2017 and illustrates the diverse opinions within the health and safety field regarding such issues as implementing behavior-based vs. participation-based programs, measuring safety participation, and management visibility into safety performance.
The survey of over 500 EHS professionals includes findings such as:
- 98% of respondents believe that increasing the level of worker participation in safety will improve safety performance.
- While 72% of those polled believe management visibility into safety performance is “extremely important,” only 30% of survey participants said that management has “complete visibility” into safety performance at their companies.
- The number one key initiative being prioritized by respondents in the next 12 months is “Improving communication between the front-line workforce and management.”
- 15% of survey participants believe that behavior-based programs have a negative impact on safety culture, and 55% think participation-based safety is most effective.
- 14% of survey participants don’t measure safety participation at all, and an additional 10% said that they don’t currently measure participation but plan to begin doing so within the next 12 months.
For more participation-based safety insights, download the full survey report here.
eCompliance safety software is the leader for improving worker participation in safety. The eCompliance mobile app connects workers with head office, creating a two-way conversation so safety leaders can make faster, fact-based decisions, and executives gain an unrivaled view of safety risk across their company. Offering a real-time safety