SWIMS is an easy acronym you can use for SPCC training to help your workers remember what to do after a spill has occurred:
- Stop the leak. (e.g., shut the valve, shut off ventilation, shut off all ignition sources in the immediate area)
- Warn others. Call spill response coordinator, supervisor, and first responders.
- Isolate the area. (e.g., rope off the spill site, divert flow from catch basin or drain using available spill response equipment)
- Minimize personal exposure with PPE and safety practices.
- Stand by to assist spill responders
Teach your workers to remember: Stop, Warn, Isolate, Minimize, and Stand by.