Special Topics in Environmental Management

Do Any Of These EPA Water Regs Apply to You?

  • Does the facility discharge wastewater or any oil, grease, or other chemicals down a floor drain to a publicly owned treatment works (POTW) (another name for the local sewage treatment plant)? If the answer is yes, a facility owner or operator may need to have a pretreatment permit for these types of discharges.
  • Does the facility have any stormwater discharges, such as runoff that is collected in a storm drain and discharged to a water body or treatment plant or runoff from a construction site? If the answer is yes, a facility owner or operator will typically need a NPDES stormwater permit for this type of stormwater discharge.  

Forget expensive calls to lawyers and consultants. With Enviro.BLR.com, you get instant access, 24/7. Try it out today and get an EHS Recordkeeping Checklist, absolutely free. Download Now.

  • Does the facility discharge any wastewater to a stream, river, lake, or ocean? If so, a facility owner or operator will typically have to apply for a state or federal wastewater discharge permit.
  • Does the facility want to conduct any construction or other activity in an area that could be a marsh or bog or otherwise covered with water and designated as wetlands? If yes, a facility owner or operator will typically need a federal dredge and fill permit and state/ local permits for activity in or near a wetlands area.

Need an answer fast? Relax. Our editors guarantee a personalized response to your questions within 3 business days. Take a free trial of Enviro.BLR.com and see what everyone is talking about. For a limited time, also receive an EHS Recordkeeping Checklist. Download Now

  • Does the facility house a large number of animals that subsequently produce animal waste, including feedlot runoff, livestock waste, bedding and litter, and wasted feed? A farm owner or operator will need a NPDES agricultural permit if concentrated animal populations exceed certain levels.
  • Does the facility maintain, treat, or otherwise provide drinking water to the public? If yes, there may be permit and training requirements for operations that provide drinking water.