Do your employees know how to handle hazardous materials safely to prevent exposures? Here are 11 simple measures that can keep them safe.
Although different types of hazardous materials may require special handling procedures, a number of important safety rules apply to the handling of all hazardous substances. Here are 11 with which your employees should be familiar:
- Follow all established procedures and to work precisely as you’ve been trained.
- Be cautious and plan ahead. Think about what could go wrong and pay close attention to what you’re doing while you work.
- Always use required PPE—and inspect it carefully before each use to make sure it’s safe to use.
- Make sure that all containers are properly labeled and that the material is contained in an appropriate container. Don’t use any material not contained or labeled properly. Report any damaged containers or illegible labels to your supervisor right away.
- Read the label and the safety data sheet (SDS) before using any material to make sure you understand hazards and precautions.
- Use all materials solely for their intended purpose. Don’t, for example, use solvents to clean your hands, or gasoline to wipe down equipment.
- Never eat or drink while handling any materials, and if your hands are contaminated, don’t use cosmetics or handle contact lenses.
- If it is necessary to identify a material, do not taste or smell it. Read the label, refer to the SDS, or take a sample for analysis.
- Know emergency procedures and equipment. Knowing emergency procedures means knowing evacuation procedures, emergency reporting procedures, and procedures for dealing with fires and spills. It also means knowing what to do in a medical emergency if a co-worker is injured or overcome by chemicals.
- Store all materials properly, separate incompatibles, and store in ventilated, dry, cool areas.
- Keep yourself and your work area clean. After handling any material, wash thoroughly with soap and water. Clean work surfaces at least once a shift so that contamination risks are minimized.
Meet your OSHA-required 8-, 24-, or 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements with a DVD that contains 17 customizable PowerPoint presentations and a manual training kit. Get the details.
To prevent hazardous reactions with any of these substances, employees should:
- Know how chemical reactions might be initiated, such as by heat, contamination, inadvertent mixing, impact, friction, electrical short, etc. They should check the safety data sheet (SDS) for information.
- Know how to recognize when an uncontrolled reaction is taking place when reactive chemicals are intentionally mixed in manufacturing processes.
- Understand the consequences of a reaction such as toxic gas release, fire, or explosion.
- Identify safeguards to prevent uncontrolled reactions from taking place.
- Know how to respond properly if an uncontrolled reaction takes place.
- Know segregation rules for storing reactive chemicals so that they do not come in contact with any substance that could cause a reaction.
Rely on the Highest Level of HAZWOPER Training
If you’re looking for high-quality, highly effective HAZWOPER training materials, you are looking for BLR’s HAZWOPER Training Program. This unique program includes 17 customizable PowerPoint training presentations on DVD, a 200+page HAZWOPER training manual with tests, handouts, and an electronic version on CD-ROM! The handy outline tells you exactly what to present and when to meet either the 8-,24, or 40-hour requirements!
With this program, you’ll:
- Meet the 8-, 24-, and 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements. Combine this comprehensive library with hands-on training to meet the 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements.
- Train new employees, or meet refresher training requirements without hiring expensive outside trainers.
- Save time and money with ready-to-use and accurate training materials.
- Ensure your training is effective. Employees will learn how to recognize, properly handle, and dispose of hazardous materials with this invaluable HAZWOPER safety training
You won’t find a more thorough and effective course related to hazardous waste operations to help meet the employee training requirements of OSHA’s HAZWOPER regulation than BLR’s HAZWOPER Training Program. Find out more.
The DVD includes:
- Identifying Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous Waste Introductory Training
- Safe Chemical Handling
- Respiratory Protection
- HAZWOPER: On-Site Safety Considerations
- Hazardous Waste Emergency Response
- HAZWOPER Facility Operations
- HAZWOPER First Awareness Level
- HAZWOPER: Medical Surveillance Program
- Understanding Chemicals Under GHS
- PPE for Emergency Response
- HAZWOPER: Donning/Doffing/Decontamination
- Hazardous Materials Spill Cleanup
- Working Safely with Flammable Liquids
- Fire Extinguishers
- Emergency Action and Fire Prevention
- Hazard Communication and GHS: What Employees Need to Know
Your 100% satisfaction is guaranteed. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with HAZWOPER Training Program, simply let us know within 90 days, and we will issue you a complete refund. To find out how to order, click here.