Yesterday, we explained how Cintas® Corporation is making workers safer by innovating. Today, we introduce you to another VPP worksite where innovative programs are also improving safety performance.
Morton Salt’s Grantsville, Utah, facility is one of the company’s four worksites to have earned VPP Star status. About 10 years back, the Grantsville plant had received an OSHA inspection and fared well. Inspectors suggested that site leaders consider pursuing VPP. Grantsville geared up for the rigorous VPP application and inspection process, achieved Merit status, moved up to Star, and has passed two recertifications.
One of the site’s safety innovations is a requirement that employees demonstrate the commitment by signing a safety responsibility policy. It acknowledges individual responsibility for:
- Working safely
- Reporting or correcting hazards
- Wearing safety gear
- Obeying applicable safety rules
- Actively participating in the workplace safety process
The statement also describes the right of any employee to stop unsafe work and the duty to report any workplace injury “no matter how slight or trivial it may appear at the time.”
Other Inventive Strategies
- The plant boosts employee involvement by encouraging participation in one of over 20 safety committees.
- The Grantsville site holds an annual training day when employees participate in a daylong training event structured around five hour-long classes. The day has a theme such as Hollywood or NACAR and includes prize drawings and a special meal, all run by volunteer employees.
- The plant has a lockout/tagout initiative, which allows employees to access the appropriate lockout procedure for each machine by computer. A similar online process allows employees to access correct confined space protocols.
- At Grantville, and throughout Morton, employees are recognized for involvement in safety, earning incentives for participating in activities such as submitting a near-miss report, preparing and delivering a toolbox talk or other safety training, conducting and EHS inspection, updating a job safety analysis, participating in an incident investigation, or submitting a validated suggestion to address and identified safety concern.
Raise Your Safety Performance to New Levels
The first Cintas facility was accepted into VPP in 2010. Today, 21 locations have earned the prestigious VPP Star recognition.
To achieve the level of safety performance of the companies featured in today’s and yesterday’s Advisor, you must be well informed and know about all the latest innovations in workplace safety. The place to learn what you need to know is Safety.BLR.com. This premier safety website is the home of safety professionals like you all across the country.
Whether it’s inventive solutions to common workplace safety problems, OSHA compliance, or some other vital safety and health issue, you’ll find it all reported and interpreted for you by our safety experts at Safety.BLR.com. And it’s all at your fingertips, 24/7.
What’s more, this one-stop safety website is a fantastic resource for safety training materials on just about any topic you can imagine.
Training responsibilities become a snap with the website’s thousands of audio presentations, PowerPoints, prewritten safety meetings, toolbox talks, trainer’s guides, and much, much more. You’ll find training tools on more than 120 safety topics along with plain-English compliance analysis and other resources.
At a time when budget considerations are paramount, what makes more sense than an all-in-one safety training and compliance solution?
And BLR has revamped Safety.BLR.com to meet your needs even better. You’ll be amazed by all the features and functionality of the site. Highlights include:
- Side-by-Side State/Federal Compliance. By placing our state and federal regulatory analysis side by side, you easily see how to fully comply with both governmental entities.
- MSDS Library Expansion. The site now provides an immense library of 3.5 million MSDS and SDS forms, with about 10,000 more added or changed every week. Need one? Just call up the chemical by name, manufacturer, product group, or CAS number, then print it out.
- Newsletter Wizard. If you’ve ever wanted to publish a safety newsletter but felt lacking in editorial skills, this new addition is for you.
- Plan Builder. Select from our library of safety plans, customize them to suit your company’s needs, and assemble them into collections you can save in our personal library.
We’re pretty excited about Safety.BLR.com and all of its enhancements, and we’re eager for you to experience it, too. That’s why we’ve created a complimentary site tour, available here. It takes just 5 minutes.
If you like what you see, you’re invited to try the site at no cost and with no obligation. We’ll even give you a complimentary special report for doing so. Go here to take a 5-minute tour of Safety.BLR.com. It may be just what you’re looking for.