Category: Ask the Expert

Hazardous Waste: Property Owner/Operator

Q. A company on my property has generated hazardous waste from past operations (subsurface cleanup) and I’m wondering if I must be identified as the legal owner and operator on the forms for the EPA ID Number and subsequent Biennial Reporting.

What Is the Status of the RICE NESHAP (Subpart ZZZZ) Following the 2015 Vacatur of Certain Emergency Engine Provisions?

Q: On May 1, 2015, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit issued a decision on 40 CFR Part 63, Subpart ZZZZ vacating the 100-hour exemption for emergency generators participating in demand response from having to meet the more stringent emission limits, control device requirements, and/or work practice requirements applicable to […]

Do I Need to Install a Leachate Collection System?

Q. Is installing a leachate collection system required by the EPA for a solid waste landfill? A. It is most likely that either the EPA or a state environmental agency will require a leachate collection system in a solid waste landfill.

What are the PCB Handling and Disposal and Notification Requirements?

Q. What are the requirements for PCBs handling and disposal? What are the appropriate EPA and state agency notification requirements when the PCBs at greater than 50 parts-per-million (ppm) are discovered in an aboveground storage tank (AST) storing Fuel #2 and located at the Petroleum Bulk Storage Facility? A. An aboveground storage tank (AST) storing […]

Where Can I Find a List of Toxicity Contaminants and Their Thresholds?

Q. Where can I find a list of thresholds for metal/chemicals to use to determine if the sludge-type waste from the triple basin collection system on our city sewer line is hazardous? A. From your question, we infer that you have already determined that your waste is not a listed hazardous waste and that you […]