The EHS Daily Advisor Safety Standout Awards recognize companies who excel in making their workplaces safe.
Safety Standout Award winners will receive a plaque, be featured on the EHS Daily Advisor website and in a press release, and honored at a future EHS Now virtual event in June 2022.
It is free to apply! Full submission guidelines and rules below.
Application deadline: Nominations are currently being accepted for the 2022 Safety Standout Awards, with a submission deadline of April 1, 2022. Please contact us at EHSDAawards@blr.com with any questions and we look forward to your partic.
2022 Safety Standout Award Categories
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION COMPLETION: Download your PDF award applications to your computer before filling out the form—do not fill out the form within your web browser or print out/scan your completed application, as this may result in loss of data! Once you have filled out all fields within your application, save the PDF file to your computer, then attach this file to your e-mail to EHSDAawards@blr.com with all of your supplementary materials.
Safety Standout Awards are given in the following 6 categories. Keep an eye on the EHS Daily Advisor for announcements regarding our next round of awards.
Best Overall Safety Program and Culture
The winner of the Best Overall Safety Program and Culture Award will demonstrate an exceptional commitment to safety demonstrated by strong engagement across all levels of the organization, a comprehensive process for hazard identification and assessment, effective program evaluation and improvement strategies, training that supports the safety culture, and evidence of successful injury prevention efforts.
BLR’s Lifetime Achievement in Safety Award
The winner of BLR’s Lifetime Achievement in Safety Award will have at least 10 years of experience in the safety field and currently hold a leadership position (defined as Director level or higher) where workplace safety is the primary function or focus.
Innovations in Safety Training Award
The key word to remember as you apply for the Innovations in Safety Training Award is “innovations.” We are looking for safety training programs that go beyond the norm and demonstrate not only a commitment to compliance but also show an effort to adapt programs to the unique demands of the company’s workforce and measure successes and/or failings to continually improve the program for the future.
Moving Beyond Compliance Award
The winner of the Moving Beyond Compliance Award will demonstrate how it has addressed behavioral safety and human factors (i.e., worker’s physical and mental abilities, decisions, and actions) to achieve a strong culture of safety that exceeds minimum compliance requirements.
Best Safety Committee
The winner of the Best Safety Committee Award will demonstrate that its safety committee has varied representation, promotes engagement, is effective at improving safety in the workplace, and achieves a high level of communication within the company.
Young Safety Professional Excellence Award
The winner of the Young Safety Professional Excellence Award will have fewer than 10 years of experience in the safety field and will have demonstrated leadership abilities and other achievements that highlight his or her strong commitment to safety.
Submissions Guidelines and Policy:
- All applications must be submitted via e-mail to EHSDAawards@blr.com using the PDF application(s) downloaded from the links above. Please direct any questions about the application process to this e-mail address as well.
- An individual or company may submit no more than two (2) applications. Each submission requires a separate completed application form.
- If an award is granted, applicants agree to send at least one representative to the online awards ceremony to be held during our upcoming EHS Daily Advisor EHS Now virtual event taking place in June 2022. Specific dates and time of the ceremony is TBA.
- Organizations or individuals who have previously won a Safety Standout Award may not win twice in the same category, but may apply for other categories. Runners-up from our previous rounds of Safety Standout Awards are encouraged to apply again, in either the same category or a new one!
- Applications must be submitted no later than April 1, 2022.
Judgment of Applications
EHS Daily Advisor and BLR editorial staff will evaluate all applications and will select the winners based on question responses and submitted supplemental materials in relation to the specific criteria listed within each individual award’s application.
Notification and Announcement of Winners
All applicants (including selected winners and runners-up) will be notified of their application status by e-mail no later than May 1, 2022. Thank you for applying, and good luck!
Congratulations to our 2021 Safety Standout Award Winners!
- Best Overall Safety Program and Culture: UCOR
- BLR’s Lifetime Achievement in Safety Award: Thomas Hawthorne
- Innovations in Safety Training Award: Santa Fe College Building Safety Ambassador Program
- Moving Beyond Compliance Award: Clearway Energy Group
- Best Safety Committee: The Corning Museum of Glass
- Young Safety Professional Excellence Award: Anna M. Bell, CSP
Also meet the winners and honorable mentions from our previous rounds of Safety Standout Awards: