The EHS Daily Advisor Safety Standout Awards recognize companies who excel in making their workplaces safe.
Safety Standout Award winners will receive a plaque, be featured on the EHS Daily Advisor website and in a press release, and honored at a future EHS NOW virtual event in June.
It is free to apply! Full submission guidelines and rules below.
Application deadline: Nominations for the 2023 Safety Standout Awards will open on April 3, 2023 and close on June 30, 2023. Please contact us at EHSDAawards@blr.com with any questions and we look forward to your participation!
2023 Safety Standout Award Categories
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION COMPLETION: Download your PDF award applications to your computer before filling out the form—do not fill out the form within your web browser or print out/scan your completed application, as this may result in loss of data! Once you have filled out all fields within your application, save the PDF file to your computer, then attach this file to your e-mail to EHSDAawards@blr.com with all of your supplementary materials.
Safety Standout Awards are given in the following 6 categories. Keep an eye on the EHS Daily Advisor for announcements regarding our next round of awards.
Best Overall Safety Program and Culture
The winner of the Best Overall Safety Program and Culture Award will demonstrate an exceptional commitment to safety demonstrated by strong engagement across all levels of the organization, a comprehensive process for hazard identification and assessment, effective program evaluation and improvement strategies, training that supports the safety culture, and evidence of successful injury prevention efforts.
ESG Champion Award
A new addition to the Safety Standout Awards in 2023. The winner of the ESG Champion Award will demonstrate overall excellence in one or more components of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) initiatives. We are looking for not just examples that ESG programs are in place, but evidence as to how the organization has improved in these areas.
Innovations in Safety Training Award
The key word to remember as you apply for the Innovations in Safety Training Award is “innovations.” We are looking for safety training programs that go beyond the norm and demonstrate not only a commitment to compliance but also show an effort to adapt programs to the unique demands of the company’s workforce and measure successes and/or failings to continually improve the program for the future.
Moving Beyond Compliance Award
The winner of the Moving Beyond Compliance Award will demonstrate how it has addressed behavioral safety and human factors (i.e., worker’s physical and mental abilities, decisions, and actions) to achieve a strong culture of safety that exceeds minimum compliance requirements.
Safety Technology & Innovation Award
A new addition to the 2023 Safety Standout Awards, the winner of the Safety Technology & Innovation Award will demonstrate how it has used technology in an innovative way to improve workplace safety and health. This should not be an advertisement for the technology, but rather an illustration of how technology can be used in new and interesting ways to solve safety problems
Young Safety Professional Excellence Award
The winner of the Young Safety Professional Excellence Award will have fewer than 10 years of experience in the safety field and will have demonstrated leadership abilities and other achievements that highlight his or her strong commitment to safety.
Submissions Guidelines and Policy:
- All applications must be submitted via e-mail to EHSDAawards@blr.com using the PDF application(s) downloaded from the links above. Please direct any questions about the application process to this e-mail address as well.
- An individual or company may submit no more than two (2) applications. Each submission requires a separate completed application form.
- If an award is granted, applicants agree to send at least one representative to the online awards ceremony to be held during our upcoming EHS Daily Advisor EHS Now virtual event taking place in June. Specific dates and time of the ceremony is TBA.
- Organizations or individuals who have previously won a Safety Standout Award may not win twice in the same category, but may apply for other categories. Runners-up from our previous rounds of Safety Standout Awards are encouraged to apply again, in either the same category or a new one!
- Applications will be accepted from April 3, 2023 – June 30, 2023.
Judgment of Applications
EHS Daily Advisor and BLR editorial staff will evaluate all applications and will select the winners based on question responses and submitted supplemental materials in relation to the specific criteria listed within each individual award’s application.
Notification and Announcement of Winners
All applicants (including selected winners and runners-up) will be notified of their application status by e-mail in August 2023. Winners will be recognized in virtual presentation during EHS Leadership Week (August 21-25).
Thank you for applying, and good luck!
Congratulations to our 2022 Safety Standout Award Winners!
- Best Overall Safety Program and Culture: Verizon
- Innovations in Safety Training: Ally Safety
- Moving Beyond Compliance: EV Construction
- Best Safety Committee: Phillips 66
- Young Safety Professional: Rocco Martini
Learn more about the 2022 Safety Standout Awards honorees
Don’t miss your chance to join us in celebrating the accomplishments of our 2022 Safety Standout Award winners and runners-up in a virtual awards ceremony, presented as part of the upcoming EHS Now: An Online Educational Experience.
In addition, meet the winners and honorable mentions from our previous rounds of Safety Standout Awards:
- 2021 winners and runners-up
- 2020 winners and runners-up
- Fall 2019 winners and runners-up
- Spring 2019 winners and runners-up
- Fall 2018 winners and runners-up
- Spring 2018 winners and runners-up