Forklift accidents are costly in both human and economic terms. But those are costs you won’t have to pay if you train your forklift operators to recognize hazards and follow proper operating procedures.
Most accidents with forklifts involve pedestrians. The most common hazards include:
- Having an obstructed view—the operator cannot see the pedestrian because of a load or an obstruction in the path
- Turning the forklift toward a pedestrian who is in front of or alongside the forklift
- Speeding, so that the forklift can’t stop in time to avoid the pedestrian
- Pedestrians being unaware of a forklift nearby
- Carrying passengers on the forklift
- Horseplay around forklifts
Some forklift accidents are caused by the hazardous conditions present in the environment where the forklift is operating. Here are some examples:
- Using combustible fuel-operated forklift in a poorly ventilated area, which could allow the buildup of carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide from the forklift
- A work environment with ramps, which can increase the chance of a forklift accident
- Crossing railroad tracks, which can unbalance a forklift
- Operating and braking on slippery surfaces
- Operating on dirt and gravel
- Poor lighting
- Congested or narrow workspaces
- The presence of flammable or combustible materials
- Pits or openings in the floor
And let’s not forget load-carrying hazards. For example:
- Working around loading docks
- Carrying loads that block the forward vision
- Overloading the forklift
- Riding with the forks too high
- Turns and inclines
- Stacking onto and unstacking from racks
Unlimited employee safety (and HR) training—one low cost. No setup, no software to install. Find out why the Software & Information Industry Association just voted the BLR® Employee Training Center the Best Workforce Training Solution.
Train Operators to Avoid Hazards
All these forklift hazards and more are identified in the BLR Employee Training Center’s 32-slide audio presentation “Forklift Operator Safety.” But that’s not all! The presentation also trains operators to avoid hazards and operate lift trucks safely under all circumstances. To make training especially easy for you, the course includes detailed speaker’s notes and a quiz to make sure your workers get the message.
And the “Forklift Operator Safety” course is just one of more than 60 safety training courses available in the BLR Employee Training Center. These are all motivational, actionable programs—for both supervisors and employees—in such key areas as hazard communication, back safety, general workplace safety, bloodborne pathogens, OSHA requirements, and many more. And, what’s more, we add new programs continually.
No time to prepare or deliver training? With the BLR Employee Training Center, your employees can start taking essential training courses the same day you sign up. Workers (and supervisors) train at their convenience, 24/7. We track, and you save with this turnkey solution. Yes, it really can be that simple.
All the Training You Need in One Place
Just as important, the BLR Employee Training Center automatically documents training. As trainees sign on, their identifications are automatically registered. And when the program is completed, the trainee’s score is entered. So, when you want to see who has or hasn’t yet trained on any subject, or look at the across-the-board activity of any one employee, it’s all there, instantly available to you, your boss, an inspector–even a plaintiff’s attorney.
The BLR Employee Training Center also includes a similar selection of HR courses-you decide whether you want just the safety courses or both the safety and HR modules.
And from the standpoint of your accounting office (an important standpoint in these tight times), you always know exactly what training will cost, no matter how many programs you use or how many times you use them. There’s just one low annual fee for unlimited training, calculated by the size of your workforce. Budget once and you’re done!
If it sounds like we’re excited about this new service, well, we are—and so is the Software & Information Industry Association, which just voted the BLR Employee Training Center the “Best Workforce Training Solution.” Find out what all the buzz is about—sign up for a no-obligation trial.
Other Recent Articles on Forklifts
Forklifts: 7 Tips for Keeping Workers Safe
Got Forklift Questions? We’ve Got Answers
Are Your Forklift Operators Due for Retraining?
Is ‘Forklift-Free’ in Your Future?