Many times it’s because workers in areas with many chemicals are tempted to store chemicals alphabetically by common name to make them easy to find—but this is very dangerous practice. Here are a few tips for safe chemical storage:
- Always store minimum quantities, as specified by OSHA. Purchase chemicals in smallest quantities needed.
- Inventory chemicals at least once a year.
- Do not store chemicals on bench tops.
- Keep MSDSs on file and available.
- Keep chemicals in storage except when in use.
- Label all chemical containers—even those with only water.
- Develop procedures to prevent and/or contain spills.
- Encourage orderly and tidy work practices.
- Provide adequate security to prevent access of hazardous materials by unauthorized personnel.