Yesterday, we looked at the six essential elements of a HAZWOPER site analysis. Today, we’ll look at the requirements for site management and site control.
If you’re operating a hazardous waste site, you must develop a written safety and health program for operations and cleanup. One of the things you must clearly identify and outline in your written plan is who’s in charge of what, and exactly what the lines of authority are. Remember, your HAZWOPER chain of command, like any other chain, will be only as strong as its weakest link.
Organizational Structure Requirements
Your health and safety program organizational structure must show how a chain of command is established, specify responsibilities of supervisors and employees, and establish a clear line of authority and communication necessary to ensure the implementation and enforcement of safety and health rules.
The structure must include:
- The name of a general supervisor with the authority to direct all operations at the site
- The name of site safety and health supervisor(s) with authority to develop and implement the site safety and health plan and verify compliance
- An explanation of the general functions and responsibilities of all personnel involved in site operations and emergency response, including contractors and subcontractors
- Lines of authority, responsibility, and communication, including clear lines of authority between contractors and subcontractors
- Periodic updates to the program as necessary to reflect changes in site operations or conditions that will affect safety and health
Meet your OSHA-required 8-, 24-, or 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements with a DVD that contains 17 customizable PowerPoint presentations and a manual training kit. Get the details.
Site Control Requirements
Another essential ingredient in your site management is your site control. OSHA requires you to implement site control procedures that include:
- An accurate, up-to-date site zone map, including, where appropriate, exclusion zones, contamination reduction zones, and decontamination areas
- Use of a “buddy system” that puts workers into groups of two or more for operations in hazardous areas
- Site communications, including an alarm system for emergencies that will notify employees of an emergency situation, to stop work activities if necessary, to lower background noise in order to speed communication, and to begin emergency procedures
- Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for safety and health that are developed based on the health risk or hazard analysis, that identify the site locations where hazards are likely to occur, and specify the appropriate types of PPE and control methods for each task to protect workers and the environment
- The location of the nearest medical assistance
Don’t go it alone in a hazardous situation! You can establish your own buddy system for HAZWOPER compliance by enlisting BLR’s HAZWOPER guidance.
Rely on the Highest Level of HAZWOPER Training
If you’re looking for high-quality, highly effective HAZWOPER training materials, you are looking for BLR’s HAZWOPER DVD Training Library. This unique program includes 16 customizable PowerPoint training presentations on DVD, a 200+page HAZWOPER training manual with tests, handouts, and an electronic version on CD! The handy outline tells you exactly what to present and when to meet either the 8-, 24-, or 40-hour requirements!
With this program, you’ll:
- Meet the 8-, 24-, and 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements. Combine this comprehensive library with hands-on training to meet the 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements.
- Train new employees, or meet refresher training requirements without hiring expensive outside trainers.
- Save time and money with ready-to-use and accurate training materials.
- Ensure your training is effective. Employees will learn how to recognize, properly handle, and dispose of hazardous materials with this invaluable HAZWOPER safety training.
You won’t find a more thorough and effective course related to hazardous waste operations to help meet the employee training requirements of OSHA’s HAZWOPER regulation than BLR’s HAZWOPER Training Program. Find out more.
The DVD includes:
- Identifying Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous Waste Introductory Training
- Safe Chemical Handling
- Respiratory Protection
- HAZWOPER: On-Site Safety Considerations
- Hazardous Waste Emergency Response
- HAZWOPER: Facility Operations
- HAZWOPER: First Awareness Level
- HAZWOPER: Medical Surveillance Program
- Understanding Chemicals Under GHS
- PPE for Emergency Response
- HAZWOPER: Donning/Doffing/Decontamination
- Hazardous Materials Spill Cleanup
- Working Safely with Flammable Liquids
- Fire Extinguishers
- Emergency Action and Fire Prevention
Your 100% satisfaction is guaranteed. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with HAZWOPER Training Program, simply let us know within 90 days, and we will issue you a complete refund. To find out how to order, click here.